Start making changes to your diet and level of physical activity that can become a part of your daily routine.
Understand the causes of weight gain before you start losing weight.
People who are overweight or obese should first aim to gradually build up to 150 minutes of moderate-intensity activity per week.
Modern life can make it easy to eat and drink more than we realise and do little physical activity. The result is often weight gain.
To lose weight, we need to change our current habits. This means eating less – even when eating a healthy, balanced diet – and getting more active.
Drastic fad diets and exercise regimes that result in rapid weight loss are unlikely to work for long, because these kinds of lifestyle changes can’t be maintained. Once you stop the regime, you’re likely to return to old habits and regain weight.
Instead, choose diet and physical activity changes that you can make a part of your daily routine, and stick to for life.
Ready to get started?
Things you can do today to lose weight
You can take four actions today that will start your journey towards a healthy weight:
- Check your BMI or body mass index. If it is in the obese range, aim to lose between 5% and 10% of your starting weight.
- Check the glycemic index of foods and eliminate all high glycemic foods.
- Try to swap drinks all sugary drinks with those that are lower in fat and sugars. Don’t forget that alcohol is also high in calories, so cutting down could help you to control your weight. Light lemonade or other low calorie drinks are OK.
- Next, find a way to fit more physical activity into your day. Understand the role of exercise in weight loss. Although exercise helps in combination with a restrictive diet but exercise on its own, without a restrictive diet, is not very useful for weight loss. Ideally, you should aim to walk 8,000 – 10,000 steps a day.
- Start the day right with protein and not carbohydrate as protein or even fat for that matter, lasts longer and keeps you full for long. Use foods you already have at home such as eggs, lean protein meats etc.
- Check to see if you have a metabolic reason for weight gain such as insulin resistance. If you have skin tags, or thicker or dark lines in the neck, you may have insulin resistance.
Insulin resistance causes belly fat and overall weight gain.
Find a weight loss program that is right for you using evidence.
What these weight loss videos
Tired of being overweight?
W8MD’s weight loss, sleep, aesthetic & IV nutrition programs can help!
W8MD’s insurance covered physician weight loss is unique in many ways with a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach to weight loss that addresses all the complex issues leading to weight gain, both in adults and children. Since its inception in 2011, W8MD has successfully helped thousands of patients succeed in not only losing weight but also keep it off with an ongoing maintenance plan.
: 987 Old Eagle School Rd, Ste 712, Wayne, PA, 19087 Ph: 215-676-2334
2632 E 21st St Brooklyn New York 11235
W8MD weight loss, sleep and medical aesthetics
140 E Evesham Rd Cherry Hill New Jersey 08003